The airfield at Qrendi was opened on 10th November 1942 by Air Vice Marshall Sir Keith Park. It consisted of two intersecting runways not far from the coast, approximately 1000 metres long and about 45 metres wide. There were also grass strips running parallel to the runways which were just over 20 metres wide.
The airfield was home to three Spitfire squadrons which were actively involved in reconnaissance work over Sicily, before the invasion of the island. After September 1943, no squadrons were based at Qrendi, however several emergency landings were carried out at the station.
The Aviation Advisory Committee chaired by ex-EU Commissioner Karmenu Vella sped immediately into action and set up a sub-committee with the intent of making proposals that would lead to the setting up of eco-friendly airstrips in Malta and Gozo to give a much needed boost to GA on the island.
One of MAviO’s roving correspondents has taken these pictures during the last 72 hours, showing what remains of the Qrendi Airfield including the one lone hangar to the left. The latter is in a sorry state and will need immediate attention to be used and preserved for future generations.